It honestly shouldn’t be too surprising than ankle sprains and injuries are pretty common among basketball players. The footwork involved in this sport is highly dynamic that it wouldn’t be too hard to twist one’s ankle or land in a way that’s not too ideal. This is why, if you want to avoid getting hurt when playing, you should get the best basketball shoes for ankle support.
With such footwear, you can worry less about your foot movements and get to do what you need to do. It will already do the trick in keeping your ankles in place, protecting them from getting hurt.
If you’re interested in finding the right pair for you, we’ve rounded up 10 of the most popular picks available in the market today. Check them out below.
10 of the Best Basketball Shoes with Ankle Support
1. Under Armour Drive 4- Best Ankle Protection Basketball Shoes
Many may get a bit surprised to see a relatively new brand starting this list but don’t fret. The Under Armour Men’s Team Drive 4 Basketball Shoe is guaranteed to be worthy of your attention. Despite being from a new player in the athletics apparel industry, the brand has been proving itself a formidable competitor for more established brands. And since they also offer good prices, you might just find this pick a solid option.
What makes the Drive 4 a great choice is the way it makes sure that your feet are supported and secure. It’s designed and built with special focus on how it will keep your forefoot and heel in place so you get better control of your feet. Its ankle support is great as well with its padded and nicely molded collar.
2. Adidas Cloudfoam Ilation
The Adidas Performance Men’s Cloudgoam Ilation MidBasketball Shoe may have the simplest design on this list but it doesn’t mean that it pales in comparison with the others. In fact, for some, its simplicity might do the trick as its comfort is its biggest trade-off.
Featuring the brand’s Cloudfoam technology, the Ilation Mid is a very comfortable pair of kicks. It’s foam cushioning will make you feel like you’re walking in the clouds, so even when the game gets intense, your feet won’t feel too beat up after.
Combined with its good quality, reliable ankle support, wide variety of options, and versatility, this can certainly be a great choice for many. It can be a nice choice not just for playing basketball but also for regular use as well.
3. Under Armour Men’s Jet Mid
Another affordable offering from Under Armour for the basketball sneakers for ankle support is the Jet Mid Basketball Shoe. Like the Ilation Mid, this item is also an amazingly affordable option that promises solid performance based on its manufacturer’s track record. So if you’re looking for something of the sort, this is worth looking into.
You can look at this item as a close competitor to the Ilation Mid since it’s also known for its comfort and simple style. Since it’s not too flashy, it appeals to the general populace. This also makes it quite versatile as it can suit some workplaces’ dress codes.
As for its performance, its comfort and construction contribute to one’s game. So if you’re after a pair that will help you do your best in the court, this can be the perfect pair for you.
4. Nike Lebron Soldier IX
One look at the Nike Men’s Lebron IX Basketball Shoes and you’ll know that it’s a solid contender for the high top basketball shoes for ankle support. Why? Those straps really make it look like it will keep your ankles where it should be, and guess what? They really do. So if you absolutely need a pair of shoes that will support your ankles well, this can be the perfect pick.
As for its basketball aspect, you can also expect the Lebron IX to be made for high performance. Since it is made with how the basketball icon works on the hardcourt, you can count on these shoes to provide the support necessary for such gameplay. It’s meant to support the wearer’s explosive power and versatile game without a hitch.
5. Adidas Men’s Pro- Best High Top Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
Looking for an alternative to the best high top basketball shoes for ankle support? Then check out the Adidas Originals Men’s Pro Bounce 2018 Low Basketball Shoe. This low-cut pair promises ample ankle support without making your feet feel too clunky.
Some folks aren’t necessarily impressed by the Pro Bounce at first glance since its upper material doesn’t seem too luxurious but it all changes when they put it on. These shoes feel premium, thanks to its choice selection of materials. As a result, it offers a solid pick for those who aren’t after something really flashy.
Another compelling reason to give this product a shot is its effective cushioning. The Flexible Bounce cushioning for its midsole gives it a nice ride that can help boost your comfort and ease of movement.
The 90s called and they don’t really want their style back, they just want to check if we’re having fun with it. And with how well-received the Adidas Performance Men’s crazy explosive 8 Basketball Shoe is, the answer is pretty positive. This classic pair is loved not just for its looks, though, but also for its solid performance.
Sporting a striking zigzag pattern as its key design element, the crazy explosive 8 is actually an authentic 90s product since it was first released in 1998. With the 90s trend coming back, Adidas decided to revive the popular model and is now a popular pick among many basketball players.
If you’re after a pair that will give you a good court feel, don’t hesitate to go for this item. It may not look like it but its soles are designed to give you a good feel of the hardcourt. It also doesn’t feel clunky when you start moving around, so you can be further guaranteed of its comfort.
7. Nike Lebron Soldier XI- Best Mens Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
They may look like a pair of fashion shoes but the Nike Lebron XI Men’s Basketball Shoes are also in the running for being the best Nike shoes for ankle support. It might not look like it’s meant for the hardcourt but with how well it fared when used by Lebron James himself, it’s pretty hard to deny that this pair can be a great pick.
What makes this product special is its great fit and stability. The shoe will nicely hug your feet and the straps will keep it locked down on your feet. It will also keep your feet in place, which is an absolute must in the best mens basketball shoes for ankle support.
8. Reebok Shaq Attaq Fashion Sneaker
Speaking of fashion footwear, the Reebok Men’s Shaq Attaq Fashion Sneaker is definitely one. However, this doesn’t mean that it can’t be one of the best ankle protection basketball shoes. With how it was designed, it’s easy to see why it’s considered one of the most supportive basketball shoes around.
First released in 1992, there are several features of these kicks that still make it a viable choice for modern wearers. With how much support it as made to have, it can still certainly be a top pick for many today.
9. Nike Hyperdunk 2016 TB- Best Womens Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
Our pick for the best women’s basketball shoes for ankle support would be the Nike Women’s Hyperdunk 2016 TB Basketball Shoe. This is actually the same as the Hyperdunk 2016 model, just made available in women’s sizes. So if you’ve always been jealous of the features available in men’s athletic footwear, this product will make them available to you.
The strongest suit of this product is its stability. It will certainly keep your feet in place. However, this makes it quite difficult to put on.
10. Jordan Nike Air 8 Retro
Rounding out our list of the best basketball shoes ankle support is the Jordan Nike Men’s Air 8 Retro Black/Aloe Verde 305381-004. This pair is a part of the Nike Icons collection made up of classic pieces made by Tinker Hatfield. With its cross-strap closure, it nicely locks down the shoes to your feet.
Classified as a lifestyle pair, the Air 8 Tinker may not exactly be made for the hardcourt but it certainly looks like it will do well in one. It’s nice to wear so you certainly won’t sacrifice comfort for good looks.
Buyer’s Guide: All the Information You Need to Choose the Right Basketball Shoes To Prevent Ankle Sprains
You might be thinking, all 10 picks above look amazing but how can you choose just one? There are also lots of other solid options aside from the ones listed above, so making a choice can really be a bit overwhelming. So how do you choose?
To help you take a pick from your many options, allow us to discuss a few crucial points below that can point you in the right direction and assist you in your own decision-making process.
What Is Ankle Support & Why It’s Important in Basketball
Let’s start with the basics first: what exactly is ankle support and why is it important when playing basketball? As mentioned above, ankle injuries are very common in basketball. Your feet will move in so many directions that it’s not impossible to twist it or land the wrong way. These can result in sprains, torn muscles, and other kinds of injuries that can put you in a lot of pain and prevent you from playing again.
Ankle support is one of the best ways to prevent ankle injuries. Footwear specifically designed for basketball are often equipped with such a feature given the fact that ankle injuries are very common for the said sport.
This often comes in the form of a snug-fitting and padded ankle area of the shoes. It’s meant to hug your ankles nicely so they can be kept aligned and exactly where they should be. Because of this, they won’t easily get twisted or bent out of place, thus preventing injuries.
Potential Ankle Injuries In Basketball & Injury Prevention
There are a few types of ankle injuries that you can experience if you play basketball. Here are a few of the most common examples and how you can prevent them:
Considered as ‘classic’ basketball injuries, they’re characterized by stretching or tearing on the ligaments that stabilize the ankle joints. They’re usually caused by overexertion when moving the said body part.
This usually comes with a sprain, making the condition worse. It involves a small bone getting dislodged from the main bone when the ankle is rolled.
This condition is a type of tendonitis involving the achilles tendon that connects the calf muscles to the heels. It’s often caused by repeated motions that impact the area like running and jumping.
There are many ways to prevent these conditions but one that is easiest to do is by wearing the right footwear for the activities you’re planning to do.
What are the Factors to Consider Before Buying Basketball Shoes for My Ankle Issue?
Now that we’ve established the importance of finding and using the best shoes for ankle support, the next thing we’ll tell you about is how you can find one. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind during your search:
- A good fit is vital. While these shoes are designed to fit snugly around your ankles, it’s still up to you to choose the size you’ll go for. In such a case, you should go for a pair with your true fit so you can get the benefits such products can offer.
- Be very particular about the product’s quality. Aside from the design of the shoes, how it’s made also determines how well it can protect your ankles from injuries.
- Look for proper foot support as well. Aside from ankle support, also make sure that the footbed of the basketball shoes you’ll get will have proper foot support so your feet will get the cushioning it needs to perform heavy movements.
What Type of Basketball Shoe Can Improve My Performance?
Since we’re already on the topic of basketball shoes, you might also be interested in finding which kind of this specific footwear will help your performance. This question is a rather complex one, however, so there’s no one answer for it.
However, if you want to make sure to get a pair that will benefit your game, there are two crucial things to keep in mind: your comfort and the shoe design.
Your comfort will play a huge role in how freely and safely you can move around with the shoes you’re wearing. If they’re too tight, then you’ll have a hard time moving around. If they’re not suitable for the structure of your feet, then you’ll be in a lot of pain which can then affect how you play.
The shoe design is important as it can help determine how well you can make certain movements. Most basketball shoes are designed to accommodate the specific movements made in the game so you don’t have to worry about that regard.
However, if you have very specific footwork techniques that you want to maximize, then you should look for the very detail that will accommodate it. This way, you can be sure that your movements won’t be hindered by your choice of footwear. This is where research for the best basketball shoes for guards or for forwards will come in handy.
Can I Skimp on the Best Basketball Shoes for Bad Ankles and Get Fakes Instead?
This is not recommended at all. As mentioned above, the product’s quality is essential if you really want to get good results from the best support basketball shoes. Fakes do not usually have excellent quality so you’ll be putting your ankles at risk when you wear them.
What you’ll be paying for when you spend a lot of money on the best basketball shoes for ankle support is the protection it can provide to your body. When you do the math, you’ll actually come out with savings if you did find a great pair of basketball shoes that helped prevent ankle injuries since treating one can be way costlier, depending on its severity.
If you’re strapped for cash, fret not. You don’t always have to spend an arm and a leg on the best Nike basketball shoes for ankle support as there are more affordable options available. You can even find great deals from the said brand as well if you know where to look.
Are High Top Basketball Shoes the Only Solution for Ankle Support?
Aside from high-top basketball shoes, people can also get ankle support from wearing ankle braces, wraps, and tapes. While the other methods are also deemed to be effective ways to protect your ankles from injuries, however, they also require additional effort to use. Braces and wraps can also be quite uncomfortable as they get thick and bulky inside the shoes. Because of these, you might still be better off with the right footwear.
By opting for the best ankle support shoes for basketball, you just really need to lace up the shoes and you’re good to go. Go for something with the perfect fit and you will be able to enjoy your games without having to worry too much about your ankles.
How to Dunk to Avoid Ankle Injuries
All the leaping, jumping, and landing involved in dunking makes it one of the most common causes of ankle injuries. Unfortunately, it’s also one of the coolest moves to learn in basketball. So if you really want to enjoy the sport fully, you might want to learn the right techniques for this kind of shooting.
So how do you dunk without injuring your ankles? Here are a few tricks to keep in mind:
- Practice your landing. Ankle injuries from dunking are often from a wrong landing so you have to figure out how to position your feet properly when coming down from a high. Many experts say that you should avoid landing with your legs too straight as that puts a lot of impact on your joints. You should also try not to spread your legs too far apart.
- Build up your ankle strength. Training your ankles to be stronger is another important thing to do if you want to dunk and not get ankle injuries. Even NBA players realize that this is a must that they cannot skip doing, so you should do so, too. There are several ways to train your ankles for strength so you can certainly take advantage of this tip.
- Clear the court for obstacles that can cause you to slip, trip, and fall. This is particularly important if you play outdoors. Do a nice sweep of the court to remove stones and other debris.
- Wear ankle support. It can be in the form of the best ankle support basketball shoes or support accessories like tapes, braces, or wraps. It’s important to wear ankle support if you want to avoid ankle injuries.
- Always stretch your ankles before a game. This will help loosen up the muscles and ready it for some strenuous activity.
What to Do if Ankle Injury Occurs While Playing Basketball?
In case you injure your ankle while playing basketball, here are some first aid tips to follow:
- Stop playing and rest your injured foot immediately. Do not strain your ankles further by continuing your strenuous activity. Since ankle injuries can lead to a torn ligament and a fractured bone, you should try not to worsen the problem by avoiding putting more pressure on the affected area.
- Ice the area. This will help limit the swelling that can follow the injury. You can use a cold pack, slush bath, or a cold water-filled compression sleeve on the area.
- Elevate the area to further avoid swelling.
- Compress with elastic bandage or wrap. This will not only help compress the area but will also provide additional support to it.
- Get medical assistance if you find yourself incapable of bearing weight on the injured foot or if your ankle feels unstable or numb
How to Treat Ankle Injuries at Home
Once your ankle injury is deemed minor enough to not need any surgery or other kinds of medical procedures, you can easily opt to treat it at home. To do this, however, make sure to observe the following steps:
- Use a crutch or cane when walking so your injured ankle won’t take the brunt of your body’s weight. Do not force to move on your feet without a supporting implement if the injury is still too painful for you to handle.
- Practice the RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate) method until the swelling stops.
- Do some exercises with your injured leg. Here are a few good ones to try:
- Trace letters with your big toe. This will make your ankle move in all directions, giving it a nice stretch.
- Sit on a chair with your injured foot flat on the floor. Move your knee from side to side while keeping your ankle in place. Keep doing this for three minutes.
- When the pain has already subsided, try standing on the injured leg for 25 seconds. This will strengthen the injured area.
- Do some calf stretching by placing your hands flat against the wall and extending your injured leg backward. Straighten your leg then hold for about 25 seconds. Repeat for 2 to 4 times.
Can I Wear Shoes Meant for Ankle Support on a Regular Basis?
If you struggle with ankle issues, wearing the best sneakers for ankle support every day would be ideal for you. However, if you don’t suffer from such an ailment, doing this might feel uncomfortable and can limit the movements you can make. So while there shouldn’t be a lot of issues if you do this, you might still want to take your physical activities into consideration.